Go to the U of M home page

Pages

Wednesday, August 23, 2017

Get To Know LATIS’s Bernard Ferguson



Name: Bernard Ferguson

Your hometown and the first place you lived after leaving your hometown?
I grew up in Nassau, Bahamas, and moved to St. Joseph, Minnesota for college when I was 18.

What is your educational background? Bachelor in Computer Science, Saint John’s University.

When did you start working at UMN?  November 2014.

What is your current job title and describe what you do ?
Software Developer 3. I love coming up with great experiences. I enjoy thinking about everything a user might experience, from first learning about a product, to using a product, to how they talk about a product with friends and colleagues. I want to fine tune the whole thing, to make sure users keep coming back. Right now, I do that via slick programming and attention to details in the user interface.

What brought you to your current job?
I first worked at the U as a software developer in CEHD in 2014, but decided I needed a change in pace about a year and a half later. In 2016, I found a snazzy spot in LATIS that involved a bit more hands on with stakeholders and more opportunity for growth. The rest is history.  

What is your favorite aspect of your job?
I like being a part of CLA. The work of the college has so many aspects to it, and involves so many departments. I like knowing a collaboration with really cool faculty and/or staff is only a half-step away.
What is your favorite accomplishment at the U, so far?
Definitely re-releasing Z.umn.edu.

What is your best/more amusing U-related memory?
Can’t really come up with any one thing. I laugh with the folks here a lot, so there are too many moments to choose a favorite.

What is your favorite place on campus?  
Probably the Sencha on East Bank. BUBBLE TEA!

Pet peeves:
I can’t borrow you something. Lend, people. Lend.

People may be surprised to know:
I’m also a poet!

Before I die, I would like to:
Live in a lot more places.

No comments:

Post a Comment